The Howard University College of Arts & Sciences invites applications for the position of Chairperson, Department of Mathematics, to begin as soon as possible but no later than July 1, 2017. The successful candidate will have excellent interpersonal and leadership skills and will have the vision and ability to bring the department to the next level of both national and international recognition and achievement.
The candidate should hold a Ph.D. in mathematics; should qualify to be a full professor of mathematics at Howard University; should have achieved an outstanding record of teaching experience, scholarly productivity, and professional and community service; should have a clear vision for the department; should have exhibited leadership in planning, budgeting, and other fiscal affairs; and should exhibit an understanding of and a commitment to the mission of Howard University.
All excellent candidates will be considered. Preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate the ability and interest to lead the development of applied and interdisciplinary areas of mathematics.
In addition, the candidate should meet the following criteria:
- Ability to build an effective team and inspire teamwork in accomplishing the goals of the Department of Mathematics.
- Ability to recruit and retain high quality students and faculty members for the Department of Mathematics.
- Ability to manage a budget and administer it in the best interest of the Department of Mathematics.
- Ability to obtain financial support from government, foundations, agencies, and private sources.
- A keen sensitivity to the needs of staff members in the area of professional development.
- An awareness of curricular and pedagogical designs necessary for the production of educators who must meet the demands of their disciplines.
- An understanding of the connectedness between the Department of Mathematics and other departments, schools and colleges of the University and its constituent community.
Each candidate should submit a CV, a letter of application that addresses his/her teaching, research, service, and administrative experience, and contact information for at least three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
A statement of the mission of Howard University is available at
More information about the position is available at:
Howard University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.